top of page
  • marktadeson

DOORS OPEN – May 3rd & 4th

A number of Hamilton’s landmark buildings open their doors to the public for free.  Doors Open in Ward 11 are:

  1. Erland Lee (Museum) Home “National Historic Site”552 Ridge Rd, Upper Stoney Creek

  2. Hindu Samaj of Hamilton and Region, 6297 Twenty Rd E, Glanbrook

  3. St. Paul’s Glanford Anglican Church, 2869 Upper James St., Mount Hope

  4. Battlefield House Museum and Park “National Historic Site”, 77 King St W., Stoney Creek (Close to Ward 11)

A bit about our Doors Open locations:

Erland Lee (Museum) Home was constructed in 1808 as a log cabin with renovations from 1873 in the Gothic Revival style.  Birthplace of the First Women’s Institure, their constituion was signed on the dining room table (1897).  Women’s Institute is celebrating 117 years.  There will be guided tours noon through 4pm.  partially accessible, public washroom, free parking lot, refreshments, gift shop, displays of archival material. 

Hindu Samaj of Hamilton and Region is a spiritual organization serving Hindus of diverse background living in the Hamilton Region and surrounding areas.  The temple, damaged by fire following the 9/11 tragedy, was re-built in 2005 with exquisite colourful Indian architecture to house the deities in the prayer area.   Fully accessible, public washrooms, child friendly, self-guided tours.  Note – Shoes must be removed and placed on racks.  Photography allowed.

St. Paul’s Glanford Anglican Church represents a small country Parish church which has survived over 170 years.  In 1926, the original cupola was replaced by the square crenellated battlement style bell tower.   Home parish to the 447 Wing, 14 British airmen killed while training at Mount Hope Airport during World Ward II are buried in the cemetery.  Free parking lot, public washrooms, child friendly, fully accessible, refreshments, self guided tours, Glanbrook Heritage Society guided cemetery tours. 

Battlefield House Museum and Park is where the Battle of Stoney Creek occurred on June 6, 1813.  Step inside Battlefield House Museum, the home of the Gage family, and see the recent structural restoration features, enjoy the 1926 Dunington-Grubb landscape and learn about the associated archaeological work surrounding the Museum.  Watch a War of 1812 musket firing demonstratioin.  Climb the steps to the Battlefield Monument.  Free parking, partially accessible, publice washrooms and gift shop.

Doors are Open from 10am to 4pm both Sat May 3rd and Sun May 4th., 2014.  For more details on Open Doors and other sites that are Open please refer to the web at or email

0 views0 comments


bottom of page